On Tuesday, the Securities and Exchange Commission released news of an alleged insider-trading scheme that reaped profits and avoided losses of more than $276 million. The SEC brought the charges against (1) CR Intrinsic Investors LLC, (2) its former portfolio manager, Mathew Martoma, and (3) a medical consultant for an expert network firm, Dr. Sidney […]
The Massachusetts Secretary of State issued a new regulation that would affect the ability of investment advisors to use expert networks. This was a direct result of Risk Reward Capital Management being based in Massachusetts. Since the management company was registered as an investment adviser in Massachusetts they are subject to examination and enforcement by […]
At least one of the hedge funds being investigated for its use of expert networks in based in Massachusetts. In an unusual instance of the state regulators acting before Securities and Exchange Commission, the Massachusetts securities regulators are proposing a new regulation to address the use of expert network services. They are proposing a new […]
You need to worry about more than just the Securities and Exchange Commission when it comes to private fund fraud. State securities regulators generally have the ability to bring fraud charges. Case in point is the Massachusetts’ Secretary of the Commonwealth bringing charges against Risk Reward Capital Management, RRC Management, the RRC Bio Fund and […]
The Securities and Exchange Commission charged a hedge fund and four hedge fund portfolio managers and analysts with illegally traded on confidential information obtained from technology company employees moonlighting as expert network consultants. Even bigger news is that the SEC came up with this fancy new logo to brand its expert network investigations and prosecutions. […]
- What Does the Future Hold for the Regulation of Private Equity Funds?
- Compliance Bricks and Mortar for October 2
- Failing the Family
- New SEC Rulemaking Database
- 75th Anniversary Celebration: Investment Company and Investment Advisers Acts
- The SEC Tries to Change Its Home-Court Advantage
- The SEC’s Cybersecurity Smackdown
- Compliance Bricks and Mortar for September 18
- Cybersecurity Exams Part II: More Governance
- Outside Trading Defendants Settle
Dodd-Frank’ed Real Estate
- Yes, the SEC Wants Real Estate Fund Managers to Register
- Are Real Estate Fund Managers Registered with the SEC?
- Are you an Investment Company?
- Real Estate Funds and the Investment Company Act
- Are you an Investment Adviser?
- Custody and Private Funds
- Private Equity Real Estate Top 50 – 2015 Edition of Who is Registered