I’m attending Private Equity International’s Private Fund Compliance Forum. This is the third edition of forum. Last year focused on the steps leading up to registration with SEC as an investment adviser. This year, the forum is supposed to focus on what to expect in the first year of SEC registration and beyond.
I’m part of a session on Wednesday morning and another on Thursday afternoon. If you are one of the 200 or so attendees, stop me and say hello.
I may try to turn some of my notes from the sessions into blog posts.
|Day One: Wednesday, May 2, 2012
|8:45 – 9:00||PEI welcome & Chairman’s introduction|
|9:00 – 10:00
||Expert panel: Post-registration update: Where are we now?
• Adjusting to the evolving role of a CCO
Moderator: Roman A. Bejger, Chief Compliance Officer, Providence Equity Partners L.L.C.
|10:00 – 10:30
||A view from the SEC
This session will provide you with in-depth analysis of how the SEC is dealing with new registrants. SEC officials will answer your most pressing questions to help you ensure an efficient compliance program.Carlo V. di Florio, Director, United States Securities and Exchange Commission, Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations
Interviewed by Nicholas Donato, Editor, Private Equity Manager
|10:30 – 11:00||Networking Coffee Break|
|11:00 – 11:50
||Best practices for addressing anti-corruption issues
• How are the SEC and the DOJ handling recent anti-corruption cases?
• UK Bribery Act
– How will it apply to US foreign offices?
– What impact will it have on entertaining requirements
– Knowing who you’re doing business with?
– Handling the increased due diligence requirements
– What to expect when they go into effect
Moderator: Douglas N. Greenburg, Partner & Vice Chair of the Global Litigation Department, Latham & Watkins LLP
|11:50 – 12:50||Update on the new regulations and how they will impact you going forward• How will new Treasury Department requirements impact the private funds community?
• Dissecting the Volker Rule
• How the evolving landscape will impact the PE community in the years ahead
Moderator: Karen Barr, General Counsel, Investment Adviser Association
|12:50 – 2:15||Networking luncheon|
|2:15 – 3:00||Improving your compliance program through the use of technologyModerator: Graham Winfrey, Staff Writer, PEI Media
Jeff Faber, Chief Financial Officer, Trafelet & Company, LLC
Stephen Marsh, Founder & CEO, Smarsh
Scott Ring, General Counsel, Bessemer Venture Partners
|3:00 – 3:45||
|3:45 – 4:00||Networking refreshments break|
|4:00 – 5:00||Mock Audit: Successfully maneuvering your way through an SEC exam
• What is the SEC looking for?
|5:00 – 6:30||Cocktail Reception and end of Day One
|Day Two: Thursday, May 3, 2012|
|8:30 – 8:45||
|8:50 – 9:00||Chairman’s welcome|
|9:00 – 9:30
||Keynote interview – Working with the SEC
H. David Kotz, former Inspector General, Office of the Inspector General, United States Securities and Exchange Commission (2007-2012), currently Managing Director, Gryphon Strategies
Interviewed by Lois Towers, Principal, Pantheon Ventures
|9:30 – 10:10||Conducting an effective annual review
• What does the SEC want you to look at?
|10:10 – 11:00||Insider trading and restricted lists
• Why every fund needs to have a restricted list?
Moderator: John Sampson, Senior Executive, Ernst & Young LLP
|11:00 – 11:15||Coffee Break|
|11:15 – 12:15||A new era of fundraising and marketing
• Assessing what rules apply and how they are applicable to your firm
• Effectively displaying performance: How do you display performance data in your advertising?
• Gaining pre-clearance for political contributions
• When and where you can advertise?
• Best practices for addressing gifts and entertainment
• Reporting and pre-clearance obligations for personal trading
• How should you be reporting performance: net vs gross
• How state and local lobbying laws are impacting your office
Julia D. Corelli, Partner, Pepper Hamilton LLP
Kurt A. Krieger, Legal Director, Huntsman Gay Global Capital, LLC
Jason Ment, Partner, General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, StepStone Group LLC
Helane L. Morrison, General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, Hall Capital Partners LLC
|12:15 – 12:20||Closing remarks|
|12:20 – 1:20||Closing Luncheon|
|12:30 – 3:30||Master Class: Effectively updating and maintaining your compliance programNow that the registration deadline is a thing of the past, many in the private funds compliance community are wondering what’s next. With greater requirements, comes greater responsibility. The maintenance and updating of compliance policies and procedures are vital to the success of every compliance program.
This master class will provide and in-depth overview of how to create and implement a successful and efficient compliance program from start to finish.
Nuts & bolts of putting together a compliance program