Instead of substantive information, today’s post focuses on me and this website. Compliance Building went public on February 12, 2009. Since then, I have managed to publish a blog post every business day. Sometimes, more than one. I hope at least some of those 1250 posts were useful to you, whether you are a subscriber […]
Here are some recent compliance-related stories that caught my eye: FIFA, the World Cup Selection and the FCPA by Tom Fox I was very interested in the allegations of bribery and corruption leveled at FIFA during the selection process, known, these days, as the “world’s richest and most influential single-sport ruling body”. As has been […]
Do you pull into a parking space or back in? Does it matter? Do you need a rule? The other day I pulled into a parking lot and saw one of these “head in parking only” signs. It bothered me. Why does it matter whether I parked with my headlights in or my taillights in? […]
The Securities and Exchange Commission charged a hedge fund and four hedge fund portfolio managers and analysts with illegally traded on confidential information obtained from technology company employees moonlighting as expert network consultants. Even bigger news is that the SEC came up with this fancy new logo to brand its expert network investigations and prosecutions. […]
If you are running a compliance program you spend a lot of time reading regulations and trying to figure out how they apply to your company. Some are very clear and make it easy to understand what you need to do. Unfortunately, many are not. Are there corruption and ethical issues tied to your interpretation? […]
In compliance, you need to learn from your mistakes so you can prevent future problems. There were many mistakes that lead to the 2008 financial crisis, not just in the United States, but also abroad. Michael Lewis wrote The Big Short, taking a look at the Unites States financial crisis and has written great stories […]
Thousands of private equity firms are scrambling to meet the July deadline to register with the SEC. New disclosure rules are being proposed for private equity managers with more than $1bn in assets. PEI Media is producing its second annual PEI Private Fund Compliance Forum 2011 to help prepare you prepare for the new wave […]
Here are some recent compliance-related stories that caught my eye: Leadership (as told by the Pointy-Haired Boss) Paper Lion Ahead for SEC’s Pay-to-Play Exemption? by Allix Magaziner in the Pay to Play Blog On March 14, the SEC’s pay-to-play rule will come into effect and there is growing concern that the rule’s exemption for accidental […]
White-collar crime has a strong influence on business ethics. Joseph Heath uses a criminological perspective to help illuminate some traditional questions in business ethics in his paper: “Business Ethics and Moral Motivation: A Criminological Perspective” Heath starts off with the premise that the ‘‘ethics scandals’’ in the early years of the twenty-first century was not […]
Lynn Stout takes the recent charges against arrest of Raj Rajaratnam, founder of the Galleon Group, and the recent raids on expert networks as an indictment of the entire hedge fund industry. She makes the mistake of using a few bad apples to state the whole industry is corrupt. The vast majority of hedge funds […]
- Happy Thanksgiving
- US Private Equity Fund Compliance Guide
- SEC Brings Charges Against CCO for Custody Failure
- Compliance Bricks and Mortar for November 20
- Are There Real Estate Fund Enforcement Cases Coming From the SEC?
- Rapid-Fire, Nuts & Bolts Tips from Former Regulators Now in the Private Sector
- The Asset Management Unit: Reflecting and Moving Ahead
- Discover the Priorities and Perspectives of the Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations
- Investment Management: What’s Next on the Rulemaking Front
- Red-Hot SEC Enforcement Priorities
Dodd-Frank’ed Real Estate
- Yes, the SEC Wants Real Estate Fund Managers to Register
- Are Real Estate Fund Managers Registered with the SEC?
- Are you an Investment Company?
- Real Estate Funds and the Investment Company Act
- Are you an Investment Adviser?
- Custody and Private Funds
- Private Equity Real Estate Top 50 – 2015 Edition of Who is Registered