The old fraud was someone selling you the Empire State Building. A new company wants you to buy State Street Financial Center in downtown Boston. But it’s not a fraud; just a focused real estate investment. Commercial real estate involves big chunks of capital. Some of those investments will meet underwriting, some will be home […]
Sometimes when you look at an investment opportunity, you run through the math and see that things don’t add up. That means it might be a fraud. Take a look at the offering of Bio Profit Series V, LLC detailed in an enforcement action by the Securities and Exchange Commission. Assuming the SEC’s complaint is […]
Private Equity Real Estate just released its ranking of the top 50 real estate private equity fund managers. As I have done in the past, I parsed the list to see which managers are registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission as investment advisers. (Disclosure: my company is on the list.) 1 The Blackstone Group […]
Last year, I looked a the top 30 real estate private equity fund managers to see which were registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Given that we just passed the March 30, 2012 registration deadline, I thought I would update the list. (Disclosure: my company is on the list.) 1 The Blackstone Group Already […]
Last year, I looked a the top 30 real estate private equity fund managers to see which are already registered with the SEC. The 2011 version of the PERE 30 just came out, so I decided to look at the list again. (Disclosure: my company is on the list.) It was mostly re-shuffling, but three […]
- Proposed Anti-Money Laundering Regulations for Investment Advisers and Fund Managers
- Management Fee “Waiver” Tax Treatment
- Compliance Bricks and Mortar for August 21
- Hiring Relatives Could Be An Illegal Bribe
- Weekend Reading: Rain
- Compliance Bricks and Mortar for August 14
- On line portals for fundraising
- Updates on Private Placements
- Upcoming Anti-Money Laundering Rules for Private Funds
- A Win for Compliance Officers
Dodd-Frank’ed Real Estate
- Yes, the SEC Wants Real Estate Fund Managers to Register
- Are Real Estate Fund Managers Registered with the SEC?
- Are you an Investment Company?
- Real Estate Funds and the Investment Company Act
- Are you an Investment Adviser?
- Custody and Private Funds
- Private Equity Real Estate Top 50 – 2015 Edition of Who is Registered