Just tooting my own horn today. I finally fulfilled the requirement to become an Investment Adviser Certified Compliance Professional®.
With the SEC’s registration requirement for private fund managers, I took a closer look at what the SEC requires for compliance professionals. Rule 206(4)-7 imposes no particular requirements on a chief compliance officer. The SEC release for the rule provides a bit a more context on the professional background requirements:
“An adviser’s chief compliance officer should be competent and knowledgeable regarding the Advisers Act…”
I looked at several compliance programs but decided the Investment Adviser Certified Compliance Professional Program co-sponsored by the Investment Adviser Association and National Regulatory Services would be the best choice.
I assume this certification and designation would give me the right to say I am “competent and knowledgeable regarding the Advisers Act.”
The program is a lot of work: 20 courses and a test. The test was hard. I did not feel confident that I had passing marks when I handed it in. But apparently I did.
This was my lineup of courses, all of which were well run:
- Introduction to the Advisers Act
- Books and Records Requirements for Investment Advisers
- Insider Trading, Contracts and Form ADV Deilvery Req.
- Understanding Fiduciary Duties, Sweep of Anti-Fraud Prov
- Custody, Pay to Play, Solicitors and Proxy Voting Anti-Fraud Rules
- Compliance Programs Rules
- IA Codes of Ethics
- Prof. Ethics: Ethical Decision-Making for Compliance
- Form ADV Part 1- Annual Updating Amendment and More
- Form ADV Part 2: Identifying and Disclosing Conflicts-
- Critical Skills for High Performance Compliance Profes
- Investment Adviser Performance and Advertising
- Investment Adviser Regulatory Update
- Anti-Money Laundering Risk Management and Monitoring
- Safely Embracing the Power of Social Media
- Defensible Due Diligence for Investment Advisers and Hedge Funds
- A Tailored Compliance Testing Program for IAs
- SEC Examinations for Investment Advisers
- Trading Practices, Portfolio Compliance and Related Enforcement Cases
- RIA Year-End Compliance Check-Up
More on the Investment Adviser Certified Compliance Professional Program.