The U.S. Government Accountability Office has released its second report on Sovereign Wealth Funds: Laws Limiting Foreign Investment Affect Certain U.S. Assets and Agencies Have Various Enforcement Processes (.pdf). This report was sent to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs in the U.S. Senate. The Report found the United States is generally open […]
The deadline for Foreign Bank Account Reporting is June 30. The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Account is IRS TD F 90-22.1 (.pdf). Any United States person who has a financial interest in or signature authority, or other authority over any financial account in a foreign country, if the aggregate value of these accounts […]
Compliance Week editor Matt Kelly and I talked about “cloud computing” and how such IT systems can affect compliance. Listen to the conversation. (Time: 8.5 min.; file size: 7.7 Mb) Let’s try to define cloud computing a little better. It really encompasses a broad swath of services that can be put into three main groups. […]
I was struck recently by the power and misconceptions around Twitter, the current press darling of Web 2.0. On one side is the enormous power of Twitter to crowdsource the news. The fallout of the Iran elections was better covered on Twitter than the mainstream media. At one point I watched CNN only to see […]
Andrew McAfee, Associate Professor at Harvard Business School lead a discussion with Christopher Keohane, Social Media Program Product Manager at Lockheed Martin IS&GS – CIO – Architecture Services and Shawn Dahlen, Social Media Program Manager, Lockheed Martin IS&GS CIO Office to talk about their Unity enterprise 2.0 platform at Lockheed Martin. The Lockheed Martin guys […]
After Monday night’s Evening in the Cloud (That is me in the middle of the picture during the Evening in the Cloud), Tuesday turned to social media and collaboration in the keynote presentations on the big stage. It was a mixed bag of presentations. There were glimpses of how organizations can use enterprise 2.0 and […]
The The Evening in the Cloud session at the Enterprise 2.0 Conference was fun. David Berlind Editor-At-Large and General Manager of TechWeb was the moderator. I sat in the customer role beside Christopher Reichert of the MIT Sloan CIO Symposium. Sean Poulley VP Online Collaboration Services of IBM, Rajen Sheth Senior Product Manager of Google […]
Monday night, I am heading over to the The Evening in the Cloud program at this year’s Enterprise 2.0 Conference. They asked me to help grill the vendors on compliance issue More software and business operations are being pushed into the cloud. Why buy the hardware and software when someone else will run them for […]
We saw it coming. It was like OJ in the Bronco. Last night, Sir R. Allen Stanford stepped out of his girlfriend’s house in Virginia, walked over the the FBI car parked out front and asked if they had an arrest warrant. They did. The grand jury had released its indictment. The surprise was who […]
The full text of the Private Fund Transparency Act of 2009 has now been published (S. 1276). The press release from Senator Reed was nice, but I prefer to see the ink on the paper. So here is what I see n the Act: Registration The Act deletes the exemption from registration in Section 203 […]
- Happy Thanksgiving
- US Private Equity Fund Compliance Guide
- SEC Brings Charges Against CCO for Custody Failure
- Compliance Bricks and Mortar for November 20
- Are There Real Estate Fund Enforcement Cases Coming From the SEC?
- Rapid-Fire, Nuts & Bolts Tips from Former Regulators Now in the Private Sector
- The Asset Management Unit: Reflecting and Moving Ahead
- Discover the Priorities and Perspectives of the Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations
- Investment Management: What’s Next on the Rulemaking Front
- Red-Hot SEC Enforcement Priorities
Dodd-Frank’ed Real Estate
- Yes, the SEC Wants Real Estate Fund Managers to Register
- Are Real Estate Fund Managers Registered with the SEC?
- Are you an Investment Company?
- Real Estate Funds and the Investment Company Act
- Are you an Investment Adviser?
- Custody and Private Funds
- Private Equity Real Estate Top 50 – 2015 Edition of Who is Registered