On Thursday, May 7, 2009, the House Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises held a hearing on: “Perspectives on Hedge Fund Registration”.
During the hearings on legislation to regulate hedge fund advisers, Rep. Paul Kanjorski said that hedge funds deserve to “continue swimming in the deep end of the pool.” But if hedge funds want to “continue to swim” in the US capital markets, they must, “fill out the forms and get an annual pool pass.”
Rep. Kanjorski also stated that “Congressmen Capuano and Castle have drafted a good bill to accomplish the goal of registering hedge fund investment advisers.” That sounds like an endorsement of the Hedge Fund Adviser Registration Act.
Witness List & Prepared Testimony:
- Mr. Todd Groome, Chairman, Alternative Investment Management Association
- The Honorable Richard H. Baker, President, Managed Funds Association
- Mr. James S. Chanos, Chairman, Coalition of Private Investment Companies
- Ms. Orice Williams, Director, Financial Markets and Community Investment Team, Government Accountability Office
- Mr. Britt Harris, Chief Investment Officer, Teacher Retirement System of Texas