For a change of pace, I thought I would look at the codes of conduct for educational institutions for their take on the issues. Boston University has an easy to find page with the President’s Statement of Commitment to Ethical Conduct with a link to the BU’s Code of Ethical Conduct.
Boston University is committed to the highest standards of honesty and integrity in all its activities. This includes, among other concerns, the following:
- Avoiding conflicts of interest and commitment;
- Dealing with others honestly and in good faith;
- Preserving confidentiality;
- Compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations; and
- Timely and accurate public disclosures.
I also tried finding the Code for Brandeis University (my other alma mater) but failed. Perhaps the International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life clogs up the search results. Or maybe the Code is not published externally.